Workplace Health Condition Management Plans: a useful tool for supporting injured or ill workers
Yesterday, I visited a small but very dynamic and busy Rehabilitation Case Management company in the South of England.
Although our companies have been collaboratively working together for a while, it was good to exchange ideas and share thoughts about how to deliver the best rehabilitation services for our clients.
The cases we are typically dealing with are the serious injury cases, and our clients have complex rehabilitation needs.
Whilst the Rehabilitation Case Management company provides quality case management, to ensure the clients’ health improvement, Eclectic Human Solutions provides return to work support and Career Redirection services.
During our meeting we discussed the clients’ biggest return to work barriers, and one of the Case Managers mentioned that:
“Employers’ actions can be a big barrier. Employers may be not aware of how to help the affected individual with their return to work”.
It was interesting that this point was brought up, for two reasons:
· firstly, it is very true that employers are often unsure which workplace adjustments the individual may require
· secondly, the individual may not always be able to communicate their needs to employer. This could happen because:
- the individual may not want to talk about their disability;
- or they may not be able to present the information in the right format;
- or they may be lacking confidence in talking to their employer;
- or, when the individual changes a job / Line Manager, they may not wish to explain their situation time and time again.
The Workplace Health Condition Management Plan is a short document that outlines the client’s abilities and skills, as well as the workplace accommodations and adjustments required. The Workplace Health Condition Management Plan is an adaptable flexible document, to be reviewed and amended during the workplace progress reviews between the individual and their employer.
The Workplace Health Condition Management Plan is a useful tool to apply in the return to work process. It can be used alongside with other support measures, such as:
- Graduated Return to Work Plans
- Return to Work Meetings
- Case management
- Workplace adjustments reviews and negotiations
Eclectic Human Solutions tends to prepare Workplace Health Condition Management Plans for most of our clients – whether they are still employed and have a job to go back to, or whether they are still looking for a jobs.